When the car began replacing the horse, *pessimists* didn’t treat it like a great new tool. They called it “the devil wagon,” and said its mission was to destroy the world. We explore why the horseless carriage was so scary—and what it took to finally put horse-lovers behind a wheel.
• Ford Commercial from the 1970s: Get a horse!
• “Hosed”, a New Yorker summary of the horse manure crisis
• New York Historical Society video about horse manure
• Model T driving (audio of which you heard on the show)
• Popular Mechanics 1940 article referencing the phrase “Get a horse!”
• “The Automobile Brain” : New York Times, 1904
• “Farmers Arm For Autoists”: New York Times, 1907
• York Herald: Cars are “an amusing toy for adults”
• “Old Cry ‘Get A Horse’ Echoed In The Sky”: New York Times, 1928
Be Notified of New Episodes